We are pleased to announce that Shea Mears has joined our team as a lead Financial Advisor.
Shea brings a rich background and skillset to the Gilbert & Cook team, with experience in financial planning strategy and implementation, education, investments and tax planning. Utilizing his experience and talents as a former tax professional, Shea looks forward to creating financial planning and tax mitigation strategies for the clients of Gilbert & Cook.
“Gilbert & Cook is one of the most respected Wealth Management firms around. From inception the Gilbert & Cook team has focused on taking care of clients through sophisticated planning and investment techniques. With that philosophy, they have built a team of highly educated, highly experienced professionals that work together to ensure that the client experience is second to none.” Shea explained.
“When an opportunity arises to join a firm like this, you don’t even pause.”
This year, Gilbert & Cook, Inc. is celebrating 25 Years in business. Founder, Linda Cook states, “We are honored to have Shea join our team. We have known Shea for many years and are looking forward to adding his experience and talents to our financial planning team. This is a big year for our firm, celebrating 25 years, and I am so happy to welcome Shea to our Gilbert & Cook family and have him share this journey with us.”
Not only has Shea been a Financial Advisor, he has been dedicated to giving back to others as an educator – formerly an accounting professor at the Des Moines Area Community College and currently an adjunct professor at Simpson College.
Shea earned a bachelor’s degree in accounting from the University of Northern Iowa and a Masters in Business Administration with accounting emphasis from Drake University. Additionally, Shea is both a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP®)
Contact Cara Shindler at email@example.com for more information regarding the latest updates with Gilbert & Cook.
The Gilbert & Cook team is expanding and we are looking for an Administrative Assistant to join our family. If you are interested in submitting your resume or would like additional information, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Assistant - Position Details:
Provides complex and highly confidential administrative and support staff services to the Gilbert & Cook team. Must exercise judgment and discretion in the handling of telephone calls, scheduling appointments and relieving the executives of administrative detail. In this fast paced, professional environment, the administrative assistant will independently handle a wide variety of situations and conflicts that are non-routine.
Administrative duties include:
- Conduct business as the first point of contact in the front office: greeting guests and offering drinks.
- Maintain the office appointment schedule by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences and travel.
- Welcome guests and clients by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Maintain office electronic files.
- Assist with planning all-staff events, including obtaining accommodations and negotiate contracts with vendors if necessary.
- Compose correspondence, prepare reports and conducts special projects as directed.
- Responsible for maintaining the appearance and condition of our office including: set-up of meeting spaces, office supply inventory, and kitchen.
- Assisting firm President with administrative duties.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to respond to sensitive and/or technical customer/employee situations with a high degree of diplomacy and confidentiality.
- The ability to multi-task, attention to detail and strong organizational and independent problem-solving skills are required.
- Exceptional computer skills, including adaptability to utilize various software packages such as our client management system, scanning, Microsoft Office Suite, etc.
- Team player, able to work well with individuals at all levels of the firm as well as with high net-worth clients.
- Professional office experience preferred.
- 4-year degree preferred.
Too quickly, the time has passed us by. After 14 years with Gilbert & Cook, Mary Ann Baker will retire at the end of the year. She has been an important part of our family and truly embodies what it means to have a genuine relationship - a core value of the Gilbert & Cook team.
A letter from Mary Ann Baker:
Fourteen and a half years ago, I moved to Des Moines and was known by what mortgage people call the "trailing spouse", as I relocate a lot because of my husband's advancing career. As usual, I had applied for positions online during the moving process. While unpacking, I received a call from Gilbert & Cook to come in for an interview.
Upon arriving at the office, my first impression was that this place was nothing like any other office I had worked in - and in all of my travels, I have worked in several. The office had a warm, cozy, home-like atmosphere. It was something that I had never seen in an office environment before and I welcomed it. I had found an office in which their clients and staff came first. Caring for people is my passion, so I accepted the offer in a heartbeat.
I have come to love the team at Gilbert & Cook and "my" clients as if they were my family. Yes, I call each and every one of them "my clients", as I have come to love them all as if we were related. I love to hear about their families, adventures and care about their trials and troubles.
This letter is bitter sweet. I am off on a new adventure called "retirement" and I have very mixed feelings. I am excited for my husband, Marty and I to enjoy what we have worked so hard to accomplish, but I am also going to miss the daily connections to my office family and "my clients" lives. Fourteen years is a long time, in which I have made some lifelong friends.
I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers and hope you know that I will always be thankful for this experience. Thank you to all for being a part of my life. I will cherish the memories.
Mary Ann Baker